Thursday, December 2, 2010

This is too familiar

Brody was telling everyone through his low settings and high sats today that he was ready to get that freakin breathing tube out already. Nervous from the last few failed attemps I didn't go in until after they were done. Unfortunately I didn't wait long enough because by the time I arrived his pulse-ox bottomed out and everyone rushed around him...again... and he was quickly re-intubated. I of course fell apart. I have to rest on the great report from ENT the other day after his bronchoscopy revealed that his trouble breathing was from the swelling only and no scar tissue or other structures which would require surgery were necessary. Brett and I were on cloud 9 after that amazing news but I just didn't understand what went wrong today. It seems like every other part of his body reacted to the steroid blast they gave him but still not his throat. So we're back to more watching and waiting.I just feel so bad that he's so behind Cameron at this point. I'm so sad that he can't come out to play and I can't hear his little cry or start to bottle or breast feed him. I just want him to be experiencing all of the same positive things Cameron is right now. Both boys have their fair share of challenges at this point but I just want them to be comfortable.

If Cameron continues at this rate we could have him home by the end of the month! Brody will clearly be in the hospital for quite some time after. Whatever he needs and at whatever pace we will be patient and wait for him to come home. As they get bigger it gets more and more difficult to leave them there. Their cribs are built (thanks to Popop Bruce) and their rooms should be completed by the end of the weekend for the most part... they just need my two little munchkins home and happy.

69 days old/in NICU. 34 weeks, 2 days gestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment