Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Kangaroo Care-I get to hold Brody for the first time!!!

I was having an absolutely awful day yesterday. I woke up anxious and spent the majority of the day crying. Brett went back to work as the bills still must get paid and I went to the hospital with his mom. I just couldn't keep it together. We have been so strong for weeks now and it all just caught up with me.

Brett got home and as exhausted as we were we went back to see the boys and begin to get accustomed to our new schedule. Brody and Cameron are now 9 days old and have ben through quite a bit during their short time out in the world so far. Both babies were taken off of their ventillators 2 days after they were born and were able to stay off for quite some time breathing almost room quality air. We were very fortunate for this...the longer they were off of their vents, the more muscle they could develop on their own. As with all preemies, they eventually tire out and need to go back on probably several times on this journey-this is not viewed as a setback but as a break for them to grow and rebuild their strength. Cameron was placed back on his 2 days ago and Brody is holding his own, but had a lot of episodes (apnea-they stop breathing as the communication from their brains to their lungs is not completely developed. The nurses will stimulate them by touch or they will give them a caffeine boost to remind them to breath) yesterday. After a blood transfusion he was doing much better when we left last night and was still vent free. Cameron had a transfusion 2 nights ago and another one in the morning. These are common as the babies are anemic.

Back to the good stuff...I got to hold Brody!!! It was quite an operation to get him out of his isollette and into my arms as all of his gadgets had to stay connected to monitor how he was handling being exposed to the elements of the room. It is thought that the sound of the mother's heartbeat is essential to baby's development in the womb so these sessions are looked at as therapy. Being able to have his whole little body squirm around on me was an amazing experience that made me feel like a mommy. Before this we were only able to touch a foot or a hand or change a diaper so being able to hold one of my kids for the first time was pretty powerful. He laid stable and at peace for an hour. AMAZING. Hopefully they will let me do the same with Cameron today. I am going to push to do this as much as possible... I think it is incredibly important for their development.


No comments:

Post a Comment