Friday, October 15, 2010

One rough week... looking like it will end on a good note

I haven't posted much this week because it seems that as soon as I post one update, the details tend to change too quickly to keep up with them via the blog. Early this week Cameron was diagnosed with Staph A (Aureus-the worse of the 2 common types of staph) and he had inflammation in his spinal fluid. After giving the little guy a spinal tap and extruding fluid, his culture came up negative for the bacteria but still the white blood cells were elevated enough to have to treat him as if it was meningitis. Our first substatial "hurdle" since the boys were born and a huge one. As prepared as we try to be when expecting obstacles, this news was devastating. The doctors and nurses kept telling us that Cameron did not look or behave like a sick baby. His coloring was great, he was active and in no way lethargic and thank G-d he was not exhibiting any outward symptoms of meningitis. The infection hung around and kept testing positive in his blood culture. They removed his pic line, did another echocardiogram and another brain ultrasound. Again, thank G-d his brain US was still clear of any fluid or bleeding and his heart was clear of clots and any lingering infection as well. Whew! But still, his culture came up positive. Finally today, his 24 hour culture came back negative!!! They need to obtain 3 consecutive days of blood samples with negative results before the declare him clear of the infection but it's a great start. He will still have to stay on his "big guns" antibiotics for 30 days. My poor little man has been through so much this week.

I had a fever Wednesday night myself and was not able to see the boys the next day. It was awful to not be right there by their side. Lesson learned-don't run myself into the ground... 

Today when I went back to the NICU while the floor was under construction all of the power went out. I watched as all of the monitors went blank and panicked as I watched the nurses rush to all of the babies. Their ventillators all shut down and I watch the boys get bagged as the nurses manually pumped breaths into them. A few seconds later the power came back on and I was in complete shock. This was NOT something I expected to encounter. In those very short seconds I thought I was going to lose them both at the same time and all I could do was stand there helpless. Again, thank the big guy that the boys vitals were all perfect when everything went back on. Can we please get one boring, uneventful day???

Tomorrow the boys are 3 weeks old!!!!!!! We are sooooo lucky to have them.

1 comment:

  1. Ally shared the blog page with me...I wanted to wish you and your family the best. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Peter D.

    ReplyDelete